Following his departure from the presidency in 1953, Harry S. Truman and his wife Bess returned to Independence, Mo. So it was only natural that his presidential library would be built in the city where he lived most of his life.
On a hill overlooking the Kansas City, Mo., skyline, the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library & Museum was dedicated on July 6, 1957. The dedication included the Masonic Rites of Dedication, as Truman received the 33rd degree of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite. Former president Herbert Hoover along with Chief Justice Earl Warren and former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt attended the ceremony.
In addition to the library and museum, Harry and Bess Truman are buried in the courtyard.
A copy of Harry S. Truman’s official White House portrait.
Statue of Harry S. Truman.