Franklin D. Roosevelt Library in Hyde Park, N.Y.

Unlike his predecessors, Franklin D. Roosevelt made his papers available to the public by donating them to the federal government.  On sixteen acres of land donated by himself and his mother Sara Delano Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt had a facility constructed to house his collection of historical papers, books, and memorabilia adjacent to his family’s estate of Springwood.  Roosevelt turned the building over to the National Archives upon its completion in 1940, but the museum section of the facility was not dedicated until June 30, 1941.

Main entrance with bust of Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Sculpture of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt outside the main entrance.
“Automobile” exhibit includes his hand-operated 1936 Ford Phaeton.
“Oval Office” exhibit features Roosevelt’s desk from the White House.
“Freedom Court” commemorates the shared vision of Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill. The court features the sculpture, “BreakFree,” which was designed by Churchill’s granddaughter Edwina Sandys.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *