Following his failure to be re-nominated as the Democratic Party’s candidate for president in 1844, Martin Van Buren retired to his home Lindenwald (now the Martin Van Buren National Historic Site). He stayed active in national politics and sought the presidency as the Free Soil Party’s candidate in 1848. By 1861, he was bedridden and suffering from pneumonia. On July 24, 1862, Van Buren died from bronchial asthma and heart failure at Lindenwald. He was buried next to his wife Hannah in the Kinderhook Reformed Dutch Church Cemetery.
Several years after leaving the presidency and suffering from throat cancer, Ulysses S. Grant worked tirelessly on his memoirs at a friend’s cottage on Mount McGregor in Saratoga County, N.Y. Shortly after completing his memoirs, Grant died on July 23, 1885. Preceding his death Grant has not declared where he wished to be buried, except that he wanted to be buried next to his wife Julia. New York Mayor William Russell Grace offered to provide space in the city for the Grant memorial, which did not come to fruition until 1897. Initially, Grant was buried in a temporary vault before his remains were transferred to the completed memorial on April 17, 1897. The memorial was dedicated on April 27, 1897, on the 75th anniversary of Grant’s birth. In 1958, the tomb came under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, which currently operates the site as General Grant National Memorial.
Suffering from poor health following the historic Yalta Conference, Franklin D. Roosevelt spent little time in Washington, D.C., and instead retreated to the Little White House in Warm Springs, Ga. Roosevelt complained of a severe headache and slumped forward in his chair on April 12, 1945. He died later that afternoon. After a funeral procession in Washington, D.C., Roosevelt was buried in the rose garden of his Springwood estate. Roosevelt’s wife Eleanor was buried beside him after her death in 1962.
After leaving office, Chester A. Arthur returned to his old law practice in New York City. In retirement, Arthur battled illness and made few public appearances. After spending the summer in New London, Conn., he returned to his home in New York and died from a cerebral hemorrhage on Nov. 18, 1886. He was buried in his family plot at Albany Rural Cemetery in Menands, N.Y.
In a row house on East 20th Street in downtown New York City, Theodore Sr. and Martha Bulloch Roosevelt welcomed their second child Theodore Jr. on Oct. 27, 1858. The family lived in the house until 1872 when they moved to West 57th Street because the neighborhood became more commercial. In 1916, the original building was demolished to accommodate retail space. The Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Association rebuilt the Victorian brownstone in 1923 using the neighboring building as a model. The rededicated house contains main furnishings from the original house donated by family members. The organization donated the property to the National Park Service in 1963, which dedicated the property as Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site in 1966.
The Hudson River Valley was originally claimed and settle by Dutch settlers. The explorer Henry Hudson named a section of land along the river Kinderhoek (Dutch for “children’s corner”) because he had seen Native American children playing in the area. It was eventually organized into a township, and it is in this village that Abraham and Maria Van Buren operated an inn and tavern. On Dec. 5, 1782, in a house attached to the tavern Maria gave birth to the couple’s third child Martin. The house was eventually torn down, but a historic marker is located near the site.
In 1866, James Roosevelt purchased a one square-mile estate along the banks of the Hudson River. Although the history of the house at the estate is unclear, Springwood changed dramatically during Roosevelt’s ownership of the property. On Jan. 30, 1882, James and his second wife Sara Delano Roosevelt welcomed their only child, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Franklin was born in the second floor tower bedroom that functioned as the master bedroom of the house.
Unlike his predecessors, Franklin D. Roosevelt made his papers available to the public by donating them to the federal government. On sixteen acres of land donated by himself and his mother Sara Delano Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt had a facility constructed to house his collection of historical papers, books, and memorabilia adjacent to his family’s estate of Springwood. Roosevelt turned the building over to the National Archives upon its completion in 1940, but the museum section of the facility was not dedicated until June 30, 1941.