In a row house on East 20th Street in downtown New York City, Theodore Sr. and Martha Bulloch Roosevelt welcomed their second child Theodore Jr. on Oct. 27, 1858. The family lived in the house until 1872 when they moved to West 57th Street because the neighborhood became more commercial. In 1916, the original building was demolished to accommodate retail space. The Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Association rebuilt the Victorian brownstone in 1923 using the neighboring building as a model. The rededicated house contains main furnishings from the original house donated by family members. The organization donated the property to the National Park Service in 1963, which dedicated the property as Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site in 1966.
David and Ida Eisenhower moved to Denison, Texas, in 1889 after David secured a job working for a Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad. On Oct. 14, 1890, in a house owned by the railroad, Ida gave birth to Dwight David Eisenhower, the couple’s third of seven sons. The family moved to Abilene, Kan., two years later, so Dwight did not realize his birthplace was Denison until contacted by local school principal Jennie Jackson while he oversaw U.S. military forces in Europe during World War II.
After confirmation from Eisenhower’s mother, the Jackson led the efforts to purchase the house and preserve it. Following his election to the presidency, the Eisenhower Foundation was established to restore the house. In 1958, the property was turned over to the state, which created the Eisenhower Birthplace State Historic Site.
Following years of declining health due to heavy drinking, Franklin Pierce retired and became a farmer. He split his time between Concord, where he gained notoriety as a lawyer before pursuing politics, and a cottage at Little Boar’s Head on the coast. In September 1869, he returned to Concord full-time and died on October 8 from cirrhosis of the liver. He was buried in Old North Cemetery next to his wife Jane, who had died six years earlier.